September 22, 2008
▪ Janae & I attended a County Commissioners Public Hearing on the County Wide Proposed ORV Route. The map we received is hanging in our council room bulletin board. I also have a copy of the sample ordinance available; however it will most likely be altered in the upcoming weeks. A major issue for the Village is that currently the ordinance would give 50% of a fine to the County Road Commission and 50% to the County Sheriff. If a ticket is issued on Village roads, we should get 50% of the money. In talking with Tim O'Rourke, he agrees, and this issue will get straightened out. Since the road commission does not maintain our Village roads, this is the most sensible solution.
▪ Kathy & I attended a free listening session regarding Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund (MNRTF) grants at the Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center on September 16th. I found it to be very informative, and I feel we can be competitive for grant money in the future. One of the major projects we need updated is our Recreation Plan. I will coordinate efforts with RMRA, and we will work on getting a plan in place for the update.
▪ The Michigan Citizen Planner Classroom Series was cancelled due to lack of registered individuals. However, I was offered and accepted the option to participate in their online program, which includes the same materials, audio/video clips, and requires answering a high percentage of the questions right on each section before advancing to further topics. I have 6 months to complete all of the online courses, and I will be given a certificate of completion once all the sessions have been completed successfully.
▪ I spoke with Maureen Daugherty from the Roscommon Transit Authority, informing her that the two parking spaces in front of St. Vincent De Paul were converted to a bus stop. She thought there was a possibility we could receive a bus stop cover/structure. I can write a letter in support of one if the council desires. It is worth noting that by doing this, we could be showing some favoritism to this business, but personally I don't think many other businesses would object, as this bus stop is heavily used by county residents and the business certainly helps out many residents throughout the area.
▪ Andy, our seasonal DPW worker, will be working till the end of September. He did a great job for the Village once again.
September 25 - Recycling Meeting - 7pm (Tom)
September 30 - Township Association Meeting (Tom)
October 1-4, MML Annual Conference – Mackinac Island (Jesse & Tom)
October 6 – Budget Workshop #1 - 7pm (Proposed)
October 13 – Council Meeting - 7pm